Nigerian Air Force rolled out bomb security tips

Nigerian Air Force rolled out bomb security tips

The Nigerian Air Force has rolled out security tips to the public and Air Force schools on detection and actions to be taken in case of suspicious objects or Improvised Explosive Devices, IEDs. The out-going Director of Air Force Information and Public Relations, Yusuf Anas, an Air Commodore, told journalists that a pamphlet released would guide the public on how to be security conscious. On what to do when suspicious objects/improvised explosive devices are sighted, the pamphlet advised: Remain calm; move away from suspicious objects; Be wary of crowd, unattended vehicles and damaged building; Do not attempt moving/touching any suspicious object from its position; Report such immediately by any fastest means possible by calling 112 Emergency Line, nearest police station or contact any security officer.’ During bomb explosions, the pamphlet advised on the following: – Avoid panic; crawl under a study table or a solid object if things are falling and remain there for a least one minute; Stay away from glass or fixtures like windows, mirrors, cabinets and electrical equipment; Follow the orders of police or safety personnel; Evacuate the building as soon as possible; Do not forget handicap people who may need help; Do not move seriously injured persons unless they are in obvious danger; Do not go near gas lines, fire hazards or kitchen; do not use elevators, lay flat on the ground and keep your mouth open and breathe at small intervals; After Explosion: Evacuate the building as quickly possible; Do not stop to retrieve personal possessions or make phone calls; Bystanders must avoid rushing to the scene of the blast to avoid secondary explosion;...
4 Kidnapped Nigerian Girls Escape Boko Haram Captors

4 Kidnapped Nigerian Girls Escape Boko Haram Captors

School students were abducted by Islamists on April 14 * Military defends its efforts to free the girls * Authorities fear a rescue attempt would lead to massacre (Adds details) MAIDUGURI, Nigeria, May 28 (Reuters) – Four more of the girls kidnapped by Boko Haram last month have escaped than previously thought, Nigeria’s Borno state said on Wednesday, but 219 others were still missing and assumed held by the Islamist militants. The girls were taking exams at a secondary school in the remote northeastern village of Chibok on April 14 when the Islamist gunmen surrounded it, loaded 276 of them onto trucks and carted them off, according to official figures. Fifty-three escaped shortly afterwards, say authorities in Borno state, which lies at the epicenter of Boko Haram’s insurgency. Education commissioner Musa Inuwa told Reuters by telephone the four had been reunited with their parents since then, but he declined to give further details of their escape or say when it happened. A senior Borno state official said it was not clear when they escaped, and it may even have been several weeks ago. The parents had not contacted authorities when the girls returned. “It was a little after the initial escapes but we doubt it was a recent escape,” he said. The girls’ abduction shone an international spotlight on the militants, whose violent struggle for an Islamic state in northern Nigeria has killed thousands and turned them into the biggest threat to security in Africa’s top oil-producing state. From being a religious movement opposed to Western culture – Boko Haram means “Western education is a sin” in the northern...
Boko Haram reportedly recaptures escaped Chibok girls

Boko Haram reportedly recaptures escaped Chibok girls

According to new reports, those 63 women and children that escaped (read here), 45 of them have been recaptured. According to Vanguard, Forty Five out of the 63 women and children who escaped being abducted by Boko Haram insurgents at Damboa and Chibok villages in Borno State; have been recaptured by the Islamic terror group, after attacking military and police formations in Damboa last Friday night. Sources said that those escaped from the gunmen were 18, leaving 45 abductees in the hands of insurgents. Scores of the Boko Haram insurgents and 17 soldiers and several policemen died during the attack to re-capture the women and children. Speaking of the recapture of the victims in a telephone interview yesterday in Maiduguri, Abass Gava, a member of Chibok Vigilante Group said that 63 women and children who initially escaped during the clashes between the military and Boko Haram had been recaptured, while attempting to flee from the camps where they were held in their respective villages. He said: “It is very unfortunate and shocking to tell you today (yesterday) that 45 of the 63 escaped women and children were kidnapped again on Sunday night, leaving only 18 that ran into this...
Top